Sunday 6 April 2014

In for Spring - Makeup Edition



Now that spring weather is finally here in Ottawa (hallelujah), I can finally stow away my dull winter hues and dust off some fresh new colors for Spring. Being the makeup junkie that I am, I've perused the S/S2014 catwalks for some inspiring new trends to rock this season. Consistent theme here - brights and pastels done in such a way as to not look like Mimi from the Drew Carey Show.

Bright Lips

The bright orange lip trend has resurfaced and I couldn't be more excited! The bold hue brings a much needed pop to the in-trend sporty look that everybody will be rocking. I find that Yves Saint Laurent makes the best lipstick for bold colors like this. Their Rouge Volupté line comes on sheer, so you can control how bold you want to be. On the lower end of the spectrum, Rimmel just came out with a line of lipsticks by Kate Moss which includes an awesome orange hue.

Graphic Eyeliner

Sharpen your pencils, ladies. This is a trend I've already started to see people rocking. It is such a fun way to add some je ne sais quoi to your look. It will take some practice (for me at least) but you can really play up your eyes here with the addition of some strategic lines. I would recommend a felt tip liner for the most precise application. Try the one from Marc Jacobs' new line, the Magic Marc'er Precision Pen. It is my new favorite thing in the world.

Blue Eyes

The Spring/Summer catwalk definitely had the blues - models for almost every designer rocked a blue hue on their lids. This is great news for us brown-eyed girls. Blue naturally brings out brown tones, making your peepers really pop. The key to avoiding the dreaded Mimi look is to keep the rest of the face rather subdued, and to really blend the shadow properly. The cult favorite Naked Palette from Urban Decay features a set of lovely blues that works with virtually any skin tone.

Bold Brows

Probably the most important of them all - bold brows are an absolute MUST this season. Thicker, more defined brows really work wonders by framing your eyes and lifting your cheekbones. Gone are the days of the pencil-thin brows that MTV started in the early '00s. I love the Brow Zings kit from Benefit. It comes with all the tools needed for perfectly groomed strong brows, and the right hues to avoid looking like you have a couple caterpillars sleeping on your forehead.

Tune in later for a recap on the hot hairstyles featured on the runways for spring. What I'm most excited about are the low-key, loose styles that are going to be on-trend. I am not very skilled in the hair department so the simpler the better for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment